Re: Brake Trouble! UPDATE!

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Brake Trouble! UPDATE!
From: Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 09:37:59 -0700
Yes, but as Paul points out, in certain wet conditions, or on snow or ice,
locking up can be the most effective method of braking, provided you can
maintain directional stability. But that is a big "if", for the average
driver.

In other words, ABS is basically an automated system designed to avoid
individual wheel lockup in order to maintain some degree of steering control
for the driver; and this is a trade-off vs. maximum deceleration under most
conditions. The situation of unbalanced braking due to different traction
under each wheel is completely different than the issue of a blown front
brake hose (one-sided brake failure), which started this conversation. Even
ABS couldn't salvage that situation.

More sophisticated dynamic stability control systems modulate throttle and
individual wheel braking in order to avoid spins or slides due to excess
cornering speed, even not under braking. I share some of Paul's scepticism
regarding the advisability of such systems -- in many ways, it is just
letting people get away with driving their oversized, overpowered vehicles
in an unsafe manner, until when they do lose it, it will be most assuredly
fatal. And imagine the chaos when the generation that is learning to drive
using these crutches finds itself at the wheel of a "vintage" car, or more
probably, a low-optioned rent-a-car.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149