Re: Brake Trouble! UPDATE!

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Brake Trouble! UPDATE!
From: Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 13:37:40 -0700
I am not sure that this clarifies anything. My point was that steering is
entirely irrelevant to the question. A vehicle entirely without steering
(say, a 4-wheel trailer) under braking, suffering a brake failure on one
side, will pull strongly to the other side. This effect has nothing to do
with "inboard steering centers"; conversely, steering geometry cannot in any
way counteract this tendency.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149

on 10/13/06 7:59 PM, Simon Matthews at simon.d.matthews@gmail.com wrote:

> Max,
>
> There is another effect: the wheels usually turn around a centre which
> is inboard (I am talking about steering). Now, if the wheels were
> un-restrained the drag on the wheels would cause them each to turn
> outwards. However, since the steering  connects the two wheels, the
> forces are balanced and so one does not normally notice any pull on
> the steering.
>
> Now, in the case that one wheel produces more drag (blowout or braking
> only on one side), this will unbalance the forces in the steering and
> there will be a strong force pulling the steering one way or the
> other.
>
> Regards,
> Simon
>

> On 10/13/06, Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> I am not sure what you are talking about. The cause of swerving under
>> braking with one-sided brake failure is because one side of the car is being
>> retarded, and the other not. It has nothing to do with the steering
>> geometry. I can see how that might affect the blowout scenario, however, but
>> that is a different situation.
>>

>> --
>>
>> Max Heim
>> '66 MGB GHN3L76149
>> If you're near Mountain View, CA,
>> it's the primer red one with chrome wires
>>

>> on 10/13/06 12:58 PM, Simon Matthews at simon.d.matthews@gmail.com wrote:
>>

>>> Well......
>>>
>>> Some Citroens had steering geometry whereby the wheel turned around
>>> its own centre (or very close), so it would be unaffected by one brake
>>> not functioning. They used to advertise them showing stability in the
>>> case of a blowout.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Simon