Re: MGC

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGC
From: "Denise Thorpe" <xyzabcde@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 10:10:24 -0500
Hi all,

Having lived with a guy with MGC's who had a best friend with MGC's, I've
worked on a few.  I don't like them.

Everything part in a C that's different from the B part wears prematurely.
To put that massive (600lbs) engine in a B, the front suspension and brakes
had to change.  The dual remote servos don't last.  Last I heard, a rebuild
kit cost $100 and a rebuild lasts 3 months.  New servos cost $300 each and
last one year.  The Volvo P1800 ES has the same servo setup and they may fit
and last longer.  I've never tried this upgrade because I've never owned a
C.

The steering rack is different to make room for the longer engine and these
racks wear out in way too few miles.  I've never worked on a C with more
than 50K miles on it and they've all had worn out racks.  Years ago, they
were no longer available.

Many people believe that the C engine is an Austin Healey 3000 engine but
it's not.  The Healey engine has 5 main bearings and the C engine has 7.  I
believe that the engine is unique to the C.  For some reason, the rings are
tougher than the block.  I have never seen a C that didn't burn oil.  And
when the engine needs its first rebuild, it will need sleeves.

I wouldn't own a C for love nor money and I don't plan to work on one for
either ever again.  Even with that huge engine, a C is no quicker off the
line than a B and it doesn't handle as well.  It just has a higher top
end--120 vs. 100--but where in the US are you going to drive old British
iron 120 MPH safely?  I wouldn't drive my B 100MPH.  The C was developed to
be a Porsche beater in SCCA racing and in every race I've heard of, the C
was out in front of the Porsche until it broke.  When they were being raced
by the factory, I don't believe an MGC ever finished a race.  Save your
money and buy a cheap and cheerful B.

My opinion.

Denise Thorpe