Clutch lining smells after highway travel - 62 MGA

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Clutch lining smells after highway travel - 62 MGA
From: "Pat Harris - \"sammler\"" <sammler@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 17:27:23 -0500
Sender: owner-mgs@Autox.Team.Net
I can drive it all day (well, I don't go on rides that long) and the
clutch has no indication of slipping or "smelling".  If I drive for 20
-30 minutes at a relatively constant 60-65mph I can smell something like
hot  brake/clutch lining.  If I "pop the clutch" there is slippage.  If
I slow down (around 50mph) for 10-15 minutes the smell goes away and the
clutch does not seem to slip.  Great - no problem - just don't go fast ;-)

I do plan to replace all the parts in the clutch when I "have to" but
I'd rather delay that task.

I'm just curious - do these symptoms tend to point to any specific
fault/failure.

Oh, yes.  The release bearing is noisy when the pedal is depressed all
the way to the floor but it is not noisy if I allow the pedal to move an
inch or so upward.  At the "quiet" position of the pedal shifting is
effortless/quiet so I don't usually depress the pedal fully. :-)

I've had the car since May - there was no record of the PO (7 years)
having any clutch problems/work.

Thanks,
Pat

Your messages not reaching the list?