[Mgs] MG Cruise Control

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Mgs] MG Cruise Control
From: "Jack Feldman" <qualitas.jack@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 09:47:13 -0600
Great article by Mike Barnes of the St.Louis MG club in the latest MGB
Driver on installing a cruise control. As an advocate of long trips in an
MG, they are worth their weight in gold. I couldn't have done 18 hours form
Pensacola to Downers Grove in my C without one.

My son argued that it wasn't appropriate for an MG, but when we drove from
Minneapolis to Portland, OR., he decided that it wasn't too bad an idea.

When I gave up the C to him I tried several on the B with no luck. Then I
ran into a club member at Gatlinburg who had an Audiovox, and followed his
example. The Audiovox works great!

Two things. The best price I found was on Amazon. I originally ordered from
Whitney, but after the second back order I started looking around. Amazon
beat their price by almost $45.00.

Secondly, in all the literature and the units I looked at, the common
assumption was that a four cylinder car does not have enough vacuum to run a
vacuum driven cruise control which is probably why Mike put a vacuum chamber
on his installation. In both my installation, and the one I copied, the
Audiovox did not require a vacuum chamber to work! Having read all that
literature that said it wasn't possible, I didn't believe it until I saw it
with my own eyes and installation. I am making the assumption that Mike and
I have the same unit. I don't know of any other model Audiovox cruise
control, and the dash controls are the same.

Thanks for a great article Mike, and thanks for the tip on using the tach
lead for the speed control. The origional instructions I had didn't make
that seem possible. I'll archive the article, and if anything goes wrong
with the magnet sensor, I'll change.

Jack