Re: [Mgs] Overdrive Numbers

To: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@mgaguru.com>, Paul Hunt
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Overdrive Numbers
From: Rick Lindsay <rolindsay@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 12:07:36 -0800 (PST)
Here in the States, higher octane fuel is marketed
with appealing names like "Super" or "High Test" or
"Power blend", all trying to entice the buyer to press
the 93 button when the car is designed for 89 octane.
 Its aggressive marketing - and it works.

There's another issue; America is B_I_G with a lot of
space between things.  Hell, Texas alone is bigger
than Western Europe!  What I'm saying is that you
would think that economy would be the key issue since
the distances are greater - but it isn't.  We just
have a long way to go to get anywhere.

Another issue; We have all-but-no mass transit
anywhere in the US except the industrial north-east.
We have to get in a car to get anywhere.

And a final point; Many cities now have no sidewalks
in the more rural areas.  Walking is passively
discouraged.  Cycling is dangerous because of the
intolerance of drivers, so few people choose that
option.

We are a nation on wheels.  Good or bad, its in our
blood.

rick