Re: [Mgs] Overdrive Numbers

To: "Rick Lindsay" <rolindsay@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Overdrive Numbers
From: "Simon Matthews" <simon.d.matthews@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 19:30:40 -0800
On Jan 13, 2008 12:07 PM, Rick Lindsay <rolindsay@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Here in the States, higher octane fuel is marketed
> with appealing names like "Super" or "High Test" or
> "Power blend", all trying to entice the buyer to press
> the 93 button when the car is designed for 89 octane.
>  Its aggressive marketing - and it works.

Many years ago, I was told by some engine designers at Ford UK that
engines produce *more* power under light knock conditions. Add to this
the fact that the higher octane fuels have *less* energy per gallon
and people whose cars don't need (or adapt to) higher octane fuels are
just throwing money away.

Thinking about it now, it seems that the more power under light knock
might be due to either: more advanced timing (producing knock), or
higher energy (lower octane) fuel.

Regards,
Simon