Re: [Mgs] Fuel tank problem--ideas?

To: "'Ed's Shop'" <shop@justbrits.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Fuel tank problem--ideas?
From: "Stuart MacMillan" <macgroup@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 10:52:01 -0700
Hi Ed and others,

Yes, there were bubbles, it looked like beer flowing out, and the tank was
only < down, which indicates a leak at the top of the pick up tube.  I used
the pump to empty the tank of over 8 gallons, or about $40 worth in my
rip-off market ($4.69 for premium).  Ive run a filter before the pump for
many years with no problems, and there arent even any rust bits in the
filter.  All modern high pressure fuel injection systems Ive seen have a
big filter in front of the pump and usually a smaller one after it, but they
pump continuously in a loop.  I cant see that it could be any other
problem, that pump handled the bubbles fine with no back pressure, and even
did a good job of keeping me running most of the time.  I highly recommend
it, get it and forget it!!!

http://mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=30837

I dropped the tank over the weekend, and it wasnt as bad a job as I
expected.  Only one of those captive square nuts was frozen, and of course
it was in the worst place, between the tank and the rear valance.  20
minutes plus a helper for that, and 20 minutes for all the rest!  Typical.

I finally found a shop that will evaluate it, and Im dropping it off today
for an evaluation.

There was very little rust on the inside, and only some surface rust on the
top rear edge.  Amazing after 43 years here in Seattle!

Ed, do your new tanks have baffles?   How much? The shop guy said $125 to
$300, depending on what he finds.  There is no one around here I could find
that would do anything for chump change.  No chumps except me around here, I
guess.

Stuart

65 MGB

  _____