Re: [Mgs] list

To: <frankk12@verizon.net>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] list
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 15:53:20 +0100
You need to look at the API rating, which is an *indication* of ZDDP, but
amongst the many claims from one manufacturer or another that theirs is better
than anyone else's I have never seen and reliable comparisons of ZDDP content
or protection.

API SB and later are suitable for the MGB, but SL and SM have reduced ZDDP so
SJ is the latest you should use.  Valvoline VR1 is SL, claims to have 75% more
ZDDP than SM, but I'd like to know how it compares with SJ.  At least it is
20W/50, which isn't generally available in the UK any more.  The other
confusing thing is that despite the API ratings 20W/50 is said to contain more
ZDDP than lower viscosities as 20W/50 isn't generally suitable for
catalyst-equipped engines, the more recent ones at any rate.  Royal Purple
claims that its 10W/40 has 1500-1600ppm of ZDDP (again, how does that compare
with other oils?) and states that even if it took all the ZDDP out it would
still have 4-times the wear protection of VR1!  You are best off looking at
Diesel rated oils (if you can get them).  Diesel engines need more anti-wear
additives to protect the little ends, and those oils that quote both petrol
and Diesel ratings generally have the older petrol ratings e.g. SJ along with
the modern Diesel ratings e.g. CF.

PaulH.