Re: [Mgs] Steering Wheel

To: d.mckinnie@usa.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Steering Wheel
From: MGBOB <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 10:02:09 -0500
    There were some videos and still pics of MGBs being crashed into
barriers.  If you could find these, they might help to answer the
question of how closely one would approach the steering wheel in a crash.
 My recollection is that the cars crushed in the front but that passenger
compartment appeared intact.
   I was thinking about this Tuesday night, returning from MG Club
meeting, when a SUV pulled out from side road, apparently oblivious to
high-beam headlamps and horns. My Kumho tires, recommended by Barney,
gripped well on the damp asphalt.
Bob

On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 04:33:49 -0000 "Douglas McKinnie"
<d.mckinnie@usa.net> writes:
> Silly question really, but my wife worries about my driving so much
> in a car
> without much modern safety equipment:
>
> Would the steering wheel here:
> http://www.sciplus.com/index.cfm/go/front.tagged/tag/Steering
>
> ...fit my 70 MGB? It looks like it is intended for an TX4/TX11
> London taxi by
> LTI
>
> The Breed SRS-40 airbag has (if my google-fu is working correctly)
> an
> integral
> inertial trigger, and engineers chose from 5 triggers depending upon
> the
> weight of the car. So one for an TX11 would be pretty incorrect for
> an
> MGB-GT...
>
> Lets see, a collision would have less inertial effect on the more
> massive car
> (1,815 Kg for the taxi) so the same trigger on an MGB would
> effectively be
> calibrated for a lower impact speed?

Home Improvement Projects
Make your dream home a reality. Click here to find all your home improvement
needs!
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/c?cp=ZgpeFm3L6sJm5vUymq8e9gAAJ1CFcZuYg3ZrSi-zVv-uUL-FAAYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAShAAAAAA=

Mgs@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html