Re: [Mgs] Steering Wheel

To: Tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Steering Wheel
From: Charley Robinson <charleyrob@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 01:13:09 -0500
I have 2 cars that have been involved in front end accident in which the air
bags did not deploy - both Audi's - both totaled in the accidents. in both
instances the warning lights indicated all was well with the systems. I'm not
at all certain that an air bag will deploy regardless of what the fail-safe
computer tells you. Unless we can just chock that up to bad German
engineering.

Charley

On Mar 4, 2010, at 10:49 AM, Richard Ewald wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 6:17 AM, Douglas McKinnie <d.mckinnie@usa.net>
wrote:

>> I'm pondering this half with my engineer's hat (is possible/this going to
>> be
>> dangerous?) and half with my psychologists hat --
>

>> "everyone knows that car's with airbags are safer, and this car now has an
>> airbag, so therefore it is safer"
>

> I taught design, function, and repairs on airbag systems for 15 years.
> Personally I would be very reluctant to try and retrofit an airbag system
> (any airbag system) into a car that was not designed for it.
> I mean just starting with the wheel, is the diameter of the shaft and the
> spline count the same?  What effects would an airbag deployment have on the
> column, and other interior pieces around the column?  Is it a tethered bag
> or an untethered bag? How big is the bag?
> And finally the two biggies 1. How will you know the effects in a crash
> without a crash test? 2. How do you know the car is safer?
>

>> For the latter, all I really need is a convincing pillow on the
>> steering-wheel
>> with a nice "airbag" or "Restraint-system" logo. Whether it is functional
>> is
>> immaterial. Have any of you tested your air-bags to see if the actually
>> work?
>> Then why are you convinced they will?
>>

> Well I don't know about your car, but yeah I can be pretty damn close to
> 100% sure my bags will go off when needed.  The normal condition of the
> warning light is on, the SRS system will only turn it off is all is OK..
The