Re: Tires

To: jblair@nhr.com (John T. Blair)
Subject: Re: Tires
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 1996 09:33:11 -0400
>   Does anyone know what type and size tires came on the pre 69 Morgan 4/4's,
>inparticular a 65 4/4.  I'm trying to get my car ready for a National AACA
>meet.  Today the local chapter had a judging for cars.  They tore them apart.
>The biggest hit I got was the fact that I had '69 vintage Vredenstine (sp)
>radials on my car.

John!  I can't help you with tire sizes but I gotta ask: why are you
subjecting yourself to this form of bs?  I remember I took my e-type to a
jag show, entered driven class, right?  DRIVEN CLASS, and I was marked down
because I had radials instead of skinny bias plys, and because my horn
sounded different, and because there were old wiper blades, etc.  Forgive me
if I step on toes, but those guys are CRAZY!

>  Next problem, while driving the 35+ mi. to this get together, my front end
>would come unglued at about 50mph.  This is the problem that started my
>restoration back in 88.

snip

 Unfortunately, I've never driven anyone
>else's Morgan so I don't know how mine really stacks up.  Nor has any other
>Morgan owner driven mine.

Its interesting that you bring this up.  THE SAME THING happens on my 67
4/4, even at the same speed.  If I go up to about 60 it all clears up and
everything is fine.  It feels like a violent shimmy; as if the wheels are
out of balance (or worse) but it clears up at higher speed and everything
ckecks out.  The PO mentioned this, said basically the same thing you did:
that he couldn't find anything wrong.  My lbc-knowledgable mechanic friend
noded his head knowingly; He leads me to believe that this is intrinsic to
the odd front end design on the Mog.  I've stopped worrying about it.

I am not 100% comfortable with this explanation.  It sounds a bit stupid,
(maybe more than a bit!).  I hope I'm not way off; I've puzzled over this too.

I'd really like to hear if others on the list have the same "problem."

Will Zehring