Re: Proper paint for wood framing

To: pdburket@intrepid.net, morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Proper paint for wood framing
From: "Blair, John" <jblair@virgo.massolant.navy.mil>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 11:59:23 -5
On Tue, 18 Feb 1997 11:07:32 -0500 David wrote:

> Fellow Morganeers,
>
> I am currently preping my body frame for mounting to chassis.  Due to the
> poor condition of the original body, I purchased a body from the factory.
> I read that an additional way to preserve the wood was to paint the wood.
> I purchased a brand of marine paint called Easypoxy manufactured by Pettit.
> Originally I had planned to only paint the underside of the sealboards and
> inside the rear wheel well.  Recently I was speaking to John Sheally about
> my restoration.  He suggested that I paint the entire frame.  He used sign
> painters' enamel on his cars' wood.
>
> I read in Alan Alderwick book ( How to Restore Wooden Body Framing ) that
> paint should breath.  The author said that wood that didn't breath would
> excelerate rot. I called Pettit about the paints I was using.  The
> information I got was that their marine paints was a sealent.  I was asked
> the condition of the wood which I described as fairly fresh and  in good
> shape.  He said that as long as the wood didn't stay wet that I should not
> have a problem.  He also said that the marine paint  would seal air from
> the wood, and that it was in constant use by boat builders.
>
> I am trying to avoid the potential of destroying the wood by my efforts to
> preserve it.  My question to anyone out there who may have knowledge or
> first hand experience in this matter are the following questions.
>
>         1. Has anyone used marine paints on wood body framing?
>         2. Was the paint the type that sealed wood from outside air?
>         3. How long ago was the painting done?
>         4. Have you noticed any rot in areas where paint was applied?
>
> Again I have come up with a long drawn out list of question.
>
> Morgan dittos,

David,

  I used West System Epoxy on my wood.  I had the entire tub taken
apart and painted each piece with the epoxy, sanded it, and applied a
2nd coat.  My wood was done in 90.

  The boat builders have been using West system epoxy for quite some
time to fix the wooden boats.  I figured if it was good enough for
them, it should work on the Morgan.

John

 John T. Blair  (WA4OHZ)  - jblair@massolant.navy.mil
 NAVMASSO Code 331        - Phone (804) 523-8133 (Comm)
 1441 Crossways Blvd.                   565-8133 (DSN)
 Chesapeake, VA. 23320-2843