RE: Proper paint for wood framing

To: "'Morgans'" <morgans@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Proper paint for wood framing
From: "Vodden, Dave" <Dave.Vodden@Telematics.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 97 17:12:00 PST

Current wood frames obtained from the Factory are Tanalised and have been so
since about 1986.  This is a wood treatment used in house building and in
the manufacture of fence posts.  It does not guarantee complete freedom from
rot when you park your Morgan in a stream, but I for one prefer not to do
that.  The protection works best when there is a "free" flow of air to keep
the surface dryish but even where there is not (such as the bottom end of a
fence post) then a considerable extension of life should be experienced.

Hard skinned or sealant type paints will offer additional protection if, and
only if, you can guarantee that the skin doesn't split in use.  Should
splitting occur then they tend to lock moisture in through capillary effects
rather than keep it out.  This effect is readily observable in old untreated
softwood window frames (in the UK at least).  Unfortunately this may also
occur at joints and where body panels are closely attached.  Bearing in mind
the amount of flex deliberately(?) built in to a Morgan chassis it is
unlikely that the paint skin would remain continuous.

Whatever measures you take then ensuring that your Morgan is dried
effectively after each swim will help.  There are three possible approaches
in the garage
Invest in a dehumidifier (not too strong or the leather will split)
one of those CarCoon things (also works outside)
or even a couple of fans to keep the air moving and a heater to raise the
temperature and hence lower the humidity.

Some swear by keeping the car outside and therefore in the wind.

Dave Vodden
1992 Plus 4 4 Seater  (Hardly ever driven in the dry owing to local weather)
Hampshire; UK