FW: Re: reply

To: morgans
Subject: FW: Re: reply
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 13:03:08 -0700 (MST)
[BOUNCE morgans@Autox.Team.Net:    Non-member submission from ["Roger Garnett"
<rwg1@cornell.edu>]]

     From: "Roger Garnett" <rwg1@cornell.edu>
     Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 15:29:12 -0500
     Subject: Re: reply

As long as comeone cc'd me, I'll reply...

Steve Manwell writes:

> I think I did send to the list. However, it is worth noting that the
> headers as they come from the list have the reply to as the individual.

Right- this is standard procedure for most lists of this type.

> This seems backwards to me.
> Perhaps our major-domo could fix this?<<<

It could be changed, but the reasoning is exactly as stated-

> It is very easy to send to the individual and
> a little more difficult to send to the list.

When things are the other way around many people end up sending replys to the
whole list that are meant only for the sender. This generates a lot of extra
traffic, and often embarasses the sender of something not meant for public
viewing.

With reply to individual, the sender must knowingly add the list address to
send to, and the list doesn't get a lot of unintentional mail.

Also, it's easier in some mail programs to select reply to: sender, from, etc.

Believe me, we've been through it, and it's better this way.

 Roger Garnett  (Roger-Garnett@cornell.edu)  http://www.wayward.team.net/
                  "The Wayward Sports Car Centre"
      "All donations of stray, orphaned, odd, neglected, etc.
       sports cars and bits in need of a good home accepted."
        "The drop off bin is right there- behind the barn..."