Re: Front-end vibration at 50-55mph

To: morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Front-end vibration at 50-55mph
From: David Stillinger <dstillin@qualcomm.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 11:33:32 -0700
At 09:15 AM 4/10/97 -0400, you wrote:

> [...]

I also had front end shimmy in my 61 +4 and checked all the usual front
suspension hardware. All looked well so I was resigned to replacing the
front tires as a final solution. Then I remembered I had a very old
maintance manual from the factory and looked in the "problems/solution"
section in the back. This was hand typed and zeroxed as an appendix !!.
Anyway under the shimmy section they talked about the damper blade etc. but
then launched into the fact that the Morgan suspension  will  impart a wear
pattern on the tire at your normal driving speed that in time will make the
car suseptable to shimmy as this tire wear feeds back into the springs.
Their solution was to remount the front tires on the same rims, flipping
the insde sidewall to the outside ! Since my tires looked good and had lots
of tread and I'm cheap, I tried this and BINGO ! the shimmy disappeared.
Your milage may vary.
David Stillinger
dstillinger@qualcomm.com
Cardiff by the Sea, California, USA