Re: Morgan Drag

To: morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Morgan Drag
From: William Zehring <zehrinwa@UMDNJ.EDU>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 1997 08:29:32 -0500
My ex-pal David McCoy writes:

>> But seriously folks, It would be interesting to hear what the COD is for
>>"modern designs". I have a feeling that the Mog is not all that bad, and the
>>wings ought to give nice ground effects exp in the bigger Morgans that can

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>get up to speed.  But I defer to our racing brethern for comments.
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hmmm.  I missed that the first time but its clear to me now, in the light
of day, that we have experienced yet another side-handed cut on the
magnificent 4/4, and by proxy, all who own, care for, and drive the
"Thinking man's Mog."  ;-)  I have a good mind to speak to Mike Bradakis
about this and insist that he institute some rules to prevent such 4/4
bashing!!

>My 4/4 goes much further to the gallon when I have the hood up and a
>large plastic clamshell suitcase on the back rack. Presumably, the hood
>and suitcase tidy up the rear airflow, providing a decent Kamm tail,
>like an Alfasud.

I enjoyed over 30 mpg in my 4/4 last fall on the Big Trek East, cruising at
a cozy 70 mph (above the 55mph shimmy speed), with hood and windows mounted.

Then, my new pal Jeremy Edwards (noble 4/4 owner that he is) writes:
>Further to Martin's comments about taking the windscreen off his +8,
>taking mine off makes 10mph difference to the top speed. With the hood
>off and the screen on you can see a tumbling eddy blowing your
>passengers hair around and these standing eddys will generate a lot of
>drag.

I and me mates had wondered about mounting the so-called Brooklands
screen(s) to my 4/4 but I have not investigated it in detail.  The area
behind the factory windshield doesn't seem to affort space to permanently
mount a brooklands screen and also keep the factory glass in place, so it
seems to be an either/or situation (remove the factory screen, then mount
the brooklands).  Has anybody out there done something similar??  I think
the car would look quite nice with the brooklands screens on it.  Good for
the appearance of at least an additional 10 mph or so (as if this monstrous
4/4 needed such tom-foolery!).  Such a poseur!  =:o

Will "4/4 Pride" Zehring