Re: Morgan Drag

To: William Zehring <zehrinwa@UMDNJ.EDU>
Subject: Re: Morgan Drag
From: steve@tap.csiro.au (Steve Moore)
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 20:02:46 +1000
Hear! Hear! Will,

My 73 4/4 with screen reaches a bit above 90mph by the end of the straight
on our local racetrack. Sans screen the figure is 100mph. Oh well now I
know that this is not really getting up to speed.

As far as Brooklands screens go, are they really going to make a difference
for highway use. Sure they look great, which is a legitimate reason for
fitting them, but I for ome would never realise the benefit from
minimisation of drag in normal day to day use.

Cheers

Steve Moore

>My ex-pal David McCoy writes:
>
>>> But seriously folks, It would be interesting to hear what the COD is for
>>>"modern designs". I have a feeling that the Mog is not all that bad, and the
>>>wings ought to give nice ground effects exp in the bigger Morgans that can
>
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>>get up to speed.  But I defer to our racing brethern for comments.
>  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>Hmmm.  I missed that the first time but its clear to me now, in the light
>of day, that we have experienced yet another side-handed cut on the
>magnificent 4/4, and by proxy, all who own, care for, and drive the
>"Thinking man's Mog."  ;-)  I have a good mind to speak to Mike Bradakis
>about this and insist that he institute some rules to prevent such 4/4
>bashing!!
>
>>My 4/4 goes much further to the gallon when I have the hood up and a
>>large plastic clamshell suitcase on the back rack. Presumably, the hood
>>and suitcase tidy up the rear airflow, providing a decent Kamm tail,
>>like an Alfasud.
>
>I enjoyed over 30 mpg in my 4/4 last fall on the Big Trek East, cruising at
>a cozy 70 mph (above the 55mph shimmy speed), with hood and windows mounted.
>
>Then, my new pal Jeremy Edwards (noble 4/4 owner that he is) writes:
>>Further to Martin's comments about taking the windscreen off his +8,
>>taking mine off makes 10mph difference to the top speed. With the hood
>>off and the screen on you can see a tumbling eddy blowing your
>>passengers hair around and these standing eddys will generate a lot of
>>drag.
>
>I and me mates had wondered about mounting the so-called Brooklands
>screen(s) to my 4/4 but I have not investigated it in detail.  The area
>behind the factory windshield doesn't seem to affort space to permanently
>mount a brooklands screen and also keep the factory glass in place, so it
>seems to be an either/or situation (remove the factory screen, then mount
>the brooklands).  Has anybody out there done something similar??  I think
>the car would look quite nice with the brooklands screens on it.  Good for
>the appearance of at least an additional 10 mph or so (as if this monstrous
>4/4 needed such tom-foolery!).  Such a poseur!  =:o
>
>Will "4/4 Pride" Zehring

Dr. Stephen Moore
CSIRO Tropical Agriculture
Molecular Animal Genetics Centre