Re: Trike Tranny

To: Morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Trike Tranny
From: CTDreher@aol.com
Date: Sat, 24 May 1997 09:12:05 -0400 (EDT)
Hi Three-Wheeler Fans,

Yesterday I finished disassembling the tranny on my '33 SS trike.  (As Dave
Barry said, I took it apart right down to individual transmission molecules.)
 To my amazement, the DPO did a good job on most of the rebuild he did.
 Except for leaving the lid loose and letting dog hair and dirt getting
inside after the rebuild... sigh.  I'm replacing all the internal bearings (3
total and cheap insurance at $88 for the set), but I have a question about
the cross-shaft bearings.  These are caged rollers and are held in place by a
plate inside that is bolted to the case.  There is alot of side play... a
good 1/8 inch or more.  Are these supposed to be shimmed in some manner?

Also, I'm wondering if anyone has tried fitting seals into the recesses in
the flange that attaches the torque tube to the tranny where the shifter rods
stick through.  Coombes' book talks about this, but says it was never done at
the factory.  Chris Towner says he found some seals at an Audi dealer that
fit perfectly.  Anyone else have insights on this?

- Carl Dreher