Lets keep Will Happy

To: "aMORGANS@autox.team.net" <Morgans@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Lets keep Will Happy
From: Bob Nogueira <nogera@prodigy.net>
Date: Wed, 21 May 97 09:58:45 -0500
-- [ From: Bob Nogueira * EMC.Ver #3.1a ] --

Gee, all  the  Morgans must be running great,  since no posts = no problems.

If this keeps up we're all going to get one of those withdrawal notes from
Will .

So here's the start of a thread which everyone can participate.

How I Came to Find my Morgan

1964, I'm in high school and a friends sister is dating a sailor who has a
Morgan . He leaves it at her house when out to sea and l  swear I will some
day own one of these fine looking autos.
 Fast forward five years.............
I am in college, reviewing the local newspaper I see a Morgan for sale.
Off I go.   It's a fine example of a 1964. The owner has just brought back
from Canada a New Plus 8 ( he used the 64s papers to drive it across the
boarder)  and wants $1800. for the 64.
Having all of a couple of hundred dollars to my name,  I talk him down to
1500,..... if it isn't sold over the next couple of days for the asking
price.
Running to the bank I apply  for a car loan. The banker can't find Morgan in
his NADA book and tells  me I have to get someone to give me a statement
as to its' value. I solicit the help of a friend at work to find someone who
knows what a Morgan is much less the value.
The car is sold to someone from San Antonio for the full 1800 dollars.
The next 10 years are spent going about my life, but always an eye open for
anything to do with Morgans.
One day someone tells me they know a person in town who is restoring a
Morgan. Off  I go.
He won't sell but gives me the info on the local Morgan Club.  Seems there
are 20 to 30 Morgans in the Dallas area but only 3 on the road .
Joining the club, I get the membership roster and start calling.  One of
these 20 to 30 owners of a non runner will surely be willing to sell.
As I call the last name on the roster, it seems to be familiar.  Yes, Steve
is the guy from work  that tried to help me find someone to put a value on
the Morgan ten years ago.  Three months later he found another Morgan for
sale and bought it.  He drove it home and was going to replace a piece of
rotted wood. This led to the complete tear down of the car which was then
placed in boxes and stored for future restoration .  Like the other 20 -30
he did not want to sell.
For the next six months I took Steve to lunch once each month and begged him
to sell me the Morgan. The day he said yes  I would have rejoiced but rather
ran to the bank , then rented  a truck.  At five o'clock, when Steve walked
out of his office  I was waiting, Money and truck in hand.
The car was truly a basket case,  every panel , nut , bolt and tack had been
 removed.
The next 18 months  were spent putting the car  back together.
That was 17 years and 160,000 miles ago .

Bob Nogueira   " Alaska Departure -11 days  and a wake-up "