Re: Lets keep Will Happy

To: nogera@prodigy.net
Subject: Re: Lets keep Will Happy
From: Fred_H._Birkbeck@ieaust.org.au (Fred H. Birkbeck)
Date: Sat, 24 May 1997 21:50:08 +1000
How about this interesting thread.  Great stuff.  Thought I would offer som=
e comments from Australia.

My story started in the early 1950's when  I spotted a Morgan  in a car mag=
azine and there my boyhood dreams started.  At about 20 yrs of age read an =
article on a +4 Super Sports (in the early  1960's) and that cemented my go=
al in life  - to own a Morgan.

In 1971 I discovered a work colleague owned a =22basket case=22  '51 +4 tha=
t had been rolled (how do you roll a morgan?).   I offered to purchase it, =
sight unseen and was bitterly disappointed with the knock-back.  Some month=
s later my colleague was forced to move interstate and the offer was made a=
gain, and this time accepted.  It was mine for just =24200.   My new wife w=
as ecstatic as I told her I had bought her a =22sports car=22 (wouldn't dar=
e buy something for me, would I ?).

When the trailered delivery took place, my wife couldn't believe what she s=
aw - a rusted heap of metal and bits of rotten wood.  But I could see poten=
tial.....

With job transfers, children, lack of money and among many other interestin=
g cars the Morgan sat and collected dust.  The most memorable of my other c=
ars were: a Renault R4 (marvellous), an Alfa Romeo Gulia Super Sedan (wish =
I still had it, a great car), and a Volvo Wagon (the worst vehicle I have e=
ver experienced).

Some 25 years on I eventually had sufficient funds, an empty household of t=
he =22money sinks=22 (children), and the desire to have the +4 professional=
ly restored (not my idea, but the only way with the pressure of business). =
 The restoration was reasonable to start with but eventually I was ripped o=
ff by an unscrupulous operator.  I removed the car from his workshop partly=
 finished and completed the job myself.  Glad I did as it got some of my so=
ul and I learnt a lot.

The +4 was finished to a point where I could have it registered for road us=
e in January 1996, and then the fine tuning started to get a reliabel and n=
ice handling vehicle.  18 months later I have near achieved this.

The car was taken on its first major outing just two weeks ago to a rally a=
t McLean's Bridge, a field in the middle of nowhere inland from the Gold Co=
ast.  The rally is  reputed to be the largest  collection of sports and cla=
ssic cars in the southern hemishere.  Great day and my car went well.

All the years, money and effort is worth every cent, and best of all, my wi=
fe has condescended to allowing me to =22own=22 the car.  She claims it is =
useless as she can't reach the pedals=21

For those interested, have a look at: http://www.onthenet.com.au/=7Etvhseng=
/morgan01.htm - some nice images of the finshed result.

Morgans - My heart really does belong....