Re: A Final Word on Head Gaskets Decarbonizing... not

To: Morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: A Final Word on Head Gaskets Decarbonizing... not
From: scott.barrie@CIMtegration.com (Scott Barrie)
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 08:59:26 -0500
Actually, this post has absolutely nothing to do with decarbonizing head
gaskets. But it's about another unusual "trick" that I learned a couple of
years ago.

We were having a particularly cold spell - even for a Canadian winter - and
one morning my winter beater car (Olds Omega) wouldn't start. I cranked
long enough that the battery gave up the ghost. I charged the battery
overnight and tried again the next day, this time armed with quick start.
Still no go. This went on for several days.

Finally, I called a neighbouring farmer who also does some repair work out
of his barn. He suggested taking the air cleaner off and squirting some oil
down the carburetor. According to him, the car had probably flooded and the
overabundance of gas would have washed the oil off the cylinder walls. With
no oil on the cylinder walls the engine wouldn't be able to generate enough
compression to start.

I tried it and bingo. The car fired right up. Am I the only one who had
never heard of this trick before?

Cheers

Scott Barrie

'63 Plus 4