Re: shafted update 1

To: "Stephen F. Bauserman" <sbauserm@actsnet.com>, morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: shafted update 1
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 23:22:42 -0400
At 08:27 PM 6/20/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Well, the car is on the stands the bolts are out at the back of the drive
>shaft. I have used a wood block against the flange and beat against it with
>a sledge hammer.  The result was a wet t-shirt and several choice words,
>but no movement.  I am open to alternative suggestions, good, bad or
>otherwise.  I do not think the saw is a valid option.

Steve,

  I just pulled several manuals to look at the xmission.  It appears that
I was pretty much right earlier when I said that the yoke slids into the
rear seal.  Non of my manuals shows anything that could/would hold the yoke
in place.

  It looks to me like the best thing is to pull the xmission from the eng.
I think you said that you had the interior and the xmission tunnels off
already.  If you pull the bolts from the front flang, the drive shaft
should them come out.  Then put a jack under the xmission and pull the
4 bolts that hold the xmission to the bell housing and the bolt that hold
the rear mount to the chassis.  You should then be able to lift the xmission
out through cockpit.

  Once out, you can pull the cover off the shifter and disconnect the shift
rods and remove them through the shifter opening.  Then you can pull the
4 bolts that hold the tail shaft cover to the xmission case.  The problem
will be that if the yoke is dry welded to the output shaft I don't think
that you'll be able to seperate the tail shaft cover.  You might try 2 crow
bars, one on either side of the tail shaft cover, and get enough leverage
to pop it loose.  If that doesn't work, I guess your idea of cutting the
yoke off is the only way to go.

John

John T. Blair  WA4OHZ          email:  jblair@nhr.com

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire