Re: shafted update 1

To: "Jared Finesmith" <Jared_Finesmith@bc.sympatico.ca>
Subject: Re: shafted update 1
From: "Stephen F. Bauserman" <sbauserm@actsnet.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 23:51:27 -0500
Jared:

I sent the following note to John Blair giving him an update.  The
transmission in my car is the four speed Cortina unit with the push-pull
shifter way up front.

John:

The more I play with this the more interesting it gets.  As I said
earlier,

the yoke is at about a 3 degree angle to the transmission, therefore

causing the drive shaft to not be centered in the tunnel.  Now the

interesting part.  I went out after dinner this evening to survey things

and realized I had turned the driveshaft 180 degrees so as to get to one
of

the bolts at the back.  Guess what, the yolk was angled the same way as

when I began.

Now if the yolk were truly bent, would not turning the driveshaft 180

degrees cause the yolk to be angled the opposite way?  I know I have some

type of problem with the yolk in the transmission, but now I wonder if the

drive shaft is really the vibration I am feeling at over 5 miles per hour.

Another thing I noticed is that the driver side (RHD) of the car sits
about

one inch higher than the other.  This is most obvious at the rear wheel

well.

I also noticed while I was going over the car that one of the motor mounts
is torn.  Could this account for the vibration?

Thanks

Steve Bauserman

67 Morgan 4/4

83 Mercedes 300SD