kingpins

To: zehrinwa@UMDNJ.EDU
Subject: kingpins
From: bristol@coastnet.com (Jim Walters)
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 09:21:22 -0700 (PDT)
Will: Should be a straight forward operation for any machine shop,
the only trick is making sure that the bushings are reamed absolutely
parallel. They will feel snug on installation but will wear very
quickly in use if not perfectly straight, I've done this job about
two dozen times (not all on my car!) and have made up a special pilot
to fit my reamer to ensure this. I actually make the bushings and
kingpins up myself on my lathe using top quality rotocast bearing
bronze which seems to last longer than the ones from the factory,
the kingpins are steel stock ground to 1.000 inches, not an unusual
size. Should take you no more than four hours to do the total job,
when re-installing the pins use an extra pair of longer bolts to pull
them up into place tightening each one a half turn at a time then
replace them one at a time with the stock bolts. I'd be happy to fit
and ream them for you but I'm in Victoria, British Columbia, maybe
a little too far away. Good luck, Jim