Re: Windshield replacement

To: BradFarr@aol.com
Subject: Re: Windshield replacement
From: ebrown@ms.com
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 13:07:26 -0400
     I broke my windshield by putting the screws back in the frame wrong,
     so the first thing is to watch how the screws come out and put em back
     in the same way. I took the broken glass and the frame to a local
     glass shop. They cut a piece to fit, put it in the frame and succeeded
     in denting the frame while doing it. Anybody with a screwdriver and an
     ounce of patience can pull out the old glass, set the frame aside in a
     safe place, and have these guys make up a new one of the same size and
     thickness, then reinstall same in their safe-and-sound frame. If the
     Nucklehed Glass Place in Norwalk, CT., can cut the glass, anyone can
     do it. My new glass went back in using the existing gasket. If the new
     glass is too thick for the gasket plus the frame (mine wasn't), you
     can use one of these black silicone sealers in the frame ---
     sparingly, I would say --- and get results that are perfect. Cost:
     About US$35, and the dent was free.

     Chip Brown