Re: Windshield replacement

To: vandergraaft@aecl.ca
Subject: Re: Windshield replacement
From: Fred_H._Birkbeck@ieaust.org.au (Fred H. Birkbeck)
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 12:55:41 +1000
Hi everybody,

I have now replaced 3 windshields in my '51 Plus 4, and this last one has c=
racked again (through the drilled hole in the windscreen wiper mount & righ=
t to the top of the screen).

One breakage was my fault when twisting the windscreen slightly to mount on=
 car.  The next time was a very hot day.  The last time was probably rough =
road flexing the bodywork.

The windscreen installer used laminated =22shatterproof=22 type glass and h=
e drilled holes in the glass for the windscreen wiper motor mounting bolts.=
  He also used silicone windscreen sealant.  Cost =24AU90  (about =24US50).=

I think the laminated glass is is part of the problem but will not know unt=
il next replacement (soon).  I have been told to use =22toughened=22 glass =
(not laminated) next time.

Any one like to offer comments?

Best regards,  Fred Birkbeck