Re: air filters

To: GOTom@aol.com
Subject: Re: air filters
From: "Robert K. Alexander" <ralex@unm.edu>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 11:00:05 -0900 (PDT)
Thanks, Tom. John Blair was responsible for the panty-hose suggestion in
response to my original query. I'm now looking at my wife's inventory
with a whole new perspective!

What I'm concerned with, as you must be too, is the filtering capacities of
these garments, especially in the dusty Southwest.  Going to have to dig out
my old pocket comparator and measure (in microns?) the mesh size.  Maybe a
trip to Dillard's lingerie department for some comparative data gathering
is in order. Definitly some room for original research here (John, if your
listening, how about a new tech article?).

The Morgan in question is a '67+4 with those long TR4 manifold tubes which
leaves even less room (in fact, on this specimen the forward dashpot is
rubbing on the bonnet).  Apparently switching to the shorter TR3 manifold
defeats the "ram" effect on the air flow and drops the hp. Although this
might be worth it here for cleanliness, I doubt that even this would
accomodate much of a filter. Perhaps just not driving on windy days or dirt
roads is the answer.

Bob Alexander
Dept. of Pantyhose Research
University of New Mexico - Valencia Campus

On Sun, 7 Sep 1997 GOTom@aol.com wrote:

> Date: Sun, 7 Sep 1997 23:54:38 -0400 (EDT)
> From: GOTom@aol.com
> To: ralex@unm.edu
> Subject: Re: air filters

> << Sorry about that last message - switched subjects in mid-stream.  Was
>  also going to ask if anyone had any kind of solution to putting air
>  filters on a TR4+4?  There is nearly zero space on the front carb, but I
>  hate to put a scoop on that beautiful bonnet.  What we need is some kind
>  of magic membrane that flows air, filters dust, and is very thin!  >>
>
> Bob, someone not long a go mentioned panty hose as a quick fix.  Haven't
> tried it yet but sounds like a reasonable temporary effort.  The below is a
> copy (bless AOL''s automatic save messages) of an alternate fix I recently
> saw on an MG.
>
> <<I don't know much about webbers however I saw a unique alternation on a 53
> MG to accomodate larger carbs with air cleaners.  Instead of doing a front
> facing scoop, a cut was made about an inch below the bottom of the first 5
> lovers (This bonnet is similar to early 50's Morgan and the front carb's air
> cleaner hits the bonnett about the same place as it would on a Morgan).  This
> flap was bent outward (at the lover closest to the firewall) enough for the
> lovered flap to clear the carb & air cleaner while leaving the front part as
> the pivoit point.   This formed a triangle at the bottom of the flap which
> was fitted with a wedge of sheet metal (and molded into place) to support the
> bottom of the flap.  The results were a lovered flap that, at a distance, was
> dificult to detect any modification.  This may not work on all Morg's (The
> older models with the streighter sides are probably better suited for this
> modification) but if it may be worth consideration if one wants to minimize
> distorations to the hood.>>
>
> Tom Gainer
> 53 Flat Rad

PS:  the MG idea sounds interesting.  Are you going to do it?  RA