Re: Plus Four mysteries-revisited

To: Jane McDaid <Murphys@ziplink.net>
Subject: Re: Plus Four mysteries-revisited
From: "John F. Bates" <jfbjd@swbell.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 21:09:23 -0500
> To answer your specific question, the seatback of a Plus 4 sits loosely in
> the car, held by gravity. The bottom edge can be placed in either of two
> positions defined by wooden cleats screwed to the body sills just in front
> of the rear wheel arches. The rake of the seatback is set by an ash
> crossbar about 5/4 X 2 which traverses the car at the heiight of the
> seatback and which is attached to the body side panels with two part steel
> brackets. These brackets have about a three inch slot in the movable part.
> The fixed part is screwed to the side panels. It has a stud which goes
> through the slot in the movable crossbar bracket and a wingnut to clamp the
> crossbar in place. Pretty primitive, and the wingnut chews up the side
> panels of the seatback. A good modification might be to build some SS type
> bucket seats using the complete directions in Fred Sisson's book.
>
> There's also a plywood bulkhead just behind the seatback that stiffens the
> body considerably and holds up the parcel shelf above the rear axle. I made
> both the bulhead & the parcel shelf out of 3/8" marine plywood, screwed &
> glued together.
>
> Good luck finishing it off. It took me five years to get around to putting
> my '67 Plus 4 back together and painted and now I'm having a ball with it.
>
> Regards.
>
> Jerry Murphy

Thanks to all who sent replies to my query. I went out to the garage and
have looked at the situation with new insight. In my car, there is an
L-shaped bracket, about four inches by one and a half, with a threaded
stud which I have assumed will eventually hold the top bows. The long
side of this bracket is screwed into the body framework. The short end
is athwart the car. If I am correct, are these where the brackets for
the wooden piece attach?. JFB