Re: How I spent my summer

To: sbauserm@actsnet.com
Subject: Re: How I spent my summer
From: harris_simmons@juno.com (Charles A Harris)
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 00:17:16 -0500
Steve, Neil or anyone with some trany knowledge,
Thanks to Bob Nogueria, Matilda's gearbox proved to be only a missing
bolt on the remote shifter pillowblock.  I got the engine back in, but
only after finding that the u-joints needed renewing, which I also took
care of.  She is back to normal except that it is a little stiff betwixt
2nd and  3rd.  Rebuilding her engine has never been much of a problem,
but I have never torn down the transmission, just replaced it, and kept
the other as a spare.  I was interested in your comment about re-gearing
the transmission as I had always thought that the only solution to high
revs at speed was to replace the 4.56 rear end with a 4.11 or perhaps a
3.73 out of a plus 4.  My other 4/4 also has a 4.56. So I have the same
problem for the series 3.  If different gearing is available for the
gear-box, I would like to know, as I could rebuild the spare now.  I have
been looking into a five speed, but have not had much luck.
I am truly looking forward to TexMog in Palestine.  Hope that it does
cool down a bit.
Chuck Harris
'66 4/4, 60 4/4 (SBC)