low riders

To: morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: low riders
From: William Zehring <zehrinwa@UMDNJ.EDU>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 17:16:38 -0500
Dear Mog-o-philes:

In regards to Joe DeLuca's comments in the 4/4 vrs. +4 issue: correct me if
I'm wrong but...  The lower stance of the 4/4 is due, in part, to the
placement of the rear axle ABOVE the frame rails (allowed, I gather from
Joe, because the ford mill is shorter than the TR mill).  Is this true?  Is
the rear axle on the typical +4 located underneath the frame rails?  I
guess there is also some compensating geometry at the front end?  When I
first got my 4/4 (like Joe, because it was the mog I located first that was
priced well and in good shape), friends were keen to know if it was the
'low rider' version.  I confess I never noted there was a height difference
between the 4/4 and the +4.  I was unaware of this notion when I purchased
the car but was struck to discover that the axle was on top of the frame
rails.

Cheers,
WZ