RE: speed?

Subject: RE: speed?
From: arlo j levisen <alevisen@gdhscats.org>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 23:22:20 +0000
I recently purchased a 1987 Morgan Plus 8 with an original fuel-injected
3.5L Rover engine.  I also live in South Dakota where we now have
somewhat higher speed limits on our interstates as well as our federal
and state highways.  We also have the luxury of fewer people, wide open
spaces and few semi-tractor/trailers.

My question has to do with how fast one can safely drive these cars?  I
am presently experiencing - and I have only driven this car with the
hood up due to the temps - a "rifle shot" caused whenever I hit a bump.
This comes from the "give" in the vinyl as well as the lack of "travel"
in the suspension.  I guess I am primarily curious as to whether anyone
feels that there should be a concern with the structural integrity of
the car itself.  Our roads up here are generally quite smooth and I tend
to zip along pretty good, but I have achieved the "rifle shot" at speeds
as slow as 70-75 mph.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thank you.  Arlo Levisen