Re: Tires and Tachometers

Subject: Re: Tires and Tachometers
From: "L.D. McLaughlin, Jr." <ldmcjr@zebra.net>
Date: Sun, 08 Mar 1998 22:24:58 -0600
>Hello,
>
> I have two questions for any early Moss box +8 owners out there. Firstly,
can anybody recommend a real good set of tires
>for this vintage +8 with the original +8 mags (5.5 inch rim.) Secondly,
does anybody else have problems with tachometer
>readings in their early 68-72 +8s. I'm asking on behalf of a friend - he
took his 69 Morgan to be "air-cared" and they claim
>that to get their testing machines to read 2500 rpms, the Mogs tach read
about 4300?! This reading seems consistnet with the
>way the car revs at highway cruising speeds.  Supposedly, the
engine'sturning at 5000 rpm to do 60-70 mph in fourth gear when
>other 69 +8's pull this speed at 3000!? What's the deal? If anyone has
similar problems, or know how to fix this problem, I'd
>be happy to hear from you.
>
>David McCrossan
>
>mcrossan@netcom.ca

David -

This is a common problem with the tach on the early Morgans - Mine did the
same thing, and I sent it to Nisongere Instrument Sales and Service, 570
Mamaroneck Avenue, Mamaroneck, New York, 10543, where they explained that
the innards somehow became worn and would need replacing - I've forgotten
exactly what part it was, but they repaired it and it's worked fine since
then.
same 185/70 -15 on these wheels without any trouble. The Dunlops hardened up
too fast. These are hard to find, so you might want to look in some of the
car magazines in the tire ads. They are the same size as a TR6 Wheel... If I
put a 195 on it, my turn radius starts approaching the Queen Mary, due to
the close fit...

Tony