Re: Tires and Tachometers

Subject: Re: Tires and Tachometers
From: "L.D. McLaughlin, Jr." <ldmcjr@zebra.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 1998 20:53:33 -0600
> Do you know if the problem with your tach was in the wiring, or was it a
problem of worn parts within the tach itself?
>I know for a fact that the +8 in question has had a number of tachs from
different cars to check the whether or not the
>original tachometer was at fault.  However, each different tach has
over-read the revs - so I belive the problem must be
>somewhere in the wiring - sound familiar? or did you simply need a new
tachometer?
> Thanks for the advise on tires - this 8 has the original 28 year old
Dunlops still on them, and boy are they ever
>hard!! Absolutley no grip! Are the Michelin Red Streaks nice and sticky?

My problem was in the tach, which was a Smith's.  They said it was in the
internal something-or-other, but the guy was very willing to explain it to
me, and told me all about it before even asking about my sending it to
him... Give him a call at that shop (I don't have the phone number) and I'm
sure he'll be happy to tell you about it...

I have my original Dunlop as a spare, but the Michelins are fantastic in
comparison! The red stripe looks great on the car too (Remember the GTO?)...
I've had them on the car for about 7-8 years, and they're still very
pliable...

Tony