Re: Cat or not?

To: "NORWOOD" <NORWOOD@email.msn.com>, morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Cat or not?
From: Gary Kneisley <kneisley@ohio.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 11:22:26 -0400
At 08:43 AM 6/21/98 +0100, you wrote:
>I am hoping to trade my  4/4 4 (1987) for a +8 (1991-1993) in the next few
>weeks. I have decided what specification to look for apart from whether I
>should have one with a cat or not? Ignoring any environmental benefits, what
>are the pro and cons for a cat, as I believe they were not compulsory until
>August 1994 here in the UK?
>Thanks,
>George
>MSCC 7193

George...

Here in the US, some state governments have mandated "e-check" inspections
wherein cars cannot get a license if they don't pass. There are a few
exeptions which are hard to get.

It makes sense that the entire world will one day be in the "e-check"
business in one form or another.  I have a '91 +8 3.9 EFI with the cat.
This car was imported to the states without the emission controls, converted
to propane for sale, then last year converted back to gasoline and the cat
system installed to make it fully legal for Rover import specifications.
The car is now fully legal everywhere, I am led to believe. I read
somewhere, the catalytic converter system does not impede the performance of
this engine over the non-cat car.  I note, however, I do get a lot of engine
knock on hard acceleration with American premium gas (93 0ctane).  It seems
worse this summer than last summer, so I expect something has affected the
timing or the gas is getting worse. That's on the top of the list for the
next trip to the mechanic.  (any hints from the gallery?)

Back to the point.. get a copy of the Feb 1997 issue of Classic and Sports
Car magazine for a terrific article about the 91 +8, non-cat, and a sidebar
about Maurice Owen, the developer of the +8.  It'll tell you a lot about the
car.

If the car you are looking at was legal without the cat when it was built,
the government probably cannot make you put a cat on it.  If you are looking
for original concourse, it should probably be "as built".

Regards.

Gary
Grafton, OH USA