Re: Cat or not?

To: NORWOOD <NORWOOD@email.msn.com>
Subject: Re: Cat or not?
From: Jeremy Edwards <jeremy@jmemee.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 18:54:38 +0100
NORWOOD <NORWOOD@email.msn.com> writes
>I am hoping to trade my  4/4 4 (1987) for a +8 (1991-1993) in the next few
>weeks. I have decided what specification to look for apart from whether I
>should have one with a cat or not? Ignoring any environmental benefits, what
>are the pro and cons for a cat, as I believe they were not compulsory until
>August 1994 here in the UK?
>Thanks,
>George
>MSCC 7193

In performance terms there is no appreciable difference- indeed, it has
been suggested that the CAT car is more consistant, but:

        CATs are sensitive creatures and have a limited life
        don't like impact
        don't like being splashed cold, (thermal shock)
        don't like leaded petrol
        are very very expensive to replace in the UK

If you run a car in the UK that had a cat from new, it must be fitted,
(Construction and Use regulations), but the chances of being caught and
prosecuted are not high.

My choice would be are car not fitted with one, there is less to go
wrong and fewer potential bills to pay. The environmental gains are
probably mimimal with an older car, there has been considerable debate
in the technical press over the long term gains of such technology,
given the inherent technical problems over an extended live and the
environmental impact of the rare earth elements required.

I'm afraid that I still consider that if it needs more than a hammer to
fix it, it shouldn't be fitted on a Morgan!
--
Jeremy Edwards
1972 Morgan 4/4