carburettor

To: "Morgan Mail List" <morgans@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: carburettor
From: "Gary" <garc@iinet.net.au>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 21:05:45 +0800
Tony, my 1954 +4 (twin spare wheels) with TR2 motor & 2 SUs had a strange
air cleaner arrangement (although I never had part of it).  There was a
wedge shaped airbox over the SU inlets (to just fit under the bonnet) with a
large (2 1/4 inch?) round hole at the back which had a flexible pipe over it
joining to a large cylindrical air cleaner mounted transversely on the
scuttle.  (Tradition had it that this air cleaner didn't quite fit under the
central bonnet hinge so Morgan arranged for a deftly placed whack with a bit
of wood to make a dent in it to provide the clearance).

My car only ever had the wedge shaped airbox and I used the car for some
time with this.  the major problem was that one SU had its inlet next to the
big hole and the other lived at the thin end of the wedge (!).  I could
never keep the mix between the SUs correct - I could balance them without
the airbox but not with it on.  So I have since run with a pair of foam
aircleaners, one bolted onto each SU.  One of these (the front) I had to cut
and bend to fit under the bonnet.

I must say that moving away from the SUs has got ht be bad - they look so
nicely traditional.

Cheers

Gary Arcus
Western Australia

Tony Souza wrote:
To those reading along, this project is about putting a TR3 in a flat
rad Morgan and not modifying the bonnet with an air scoop which would be
a necessity if retaining the SU carbs and TR3 manifold (even short
carbs, short manifold).  I now have an intake manifold that works with a
32/36 DGV Weber and everything including an air filter will fit under
the bonnet.