Re: disk to wire

To: William Zehring <zehrinwa@UMDNJ.EDU>
Subject: Re: disk to wire
From: Steve Moore <steve.moore@cnetns.tcp.csiro.au>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 08:25:35 +1000
Will,

I have been contemplating the opposite conversion. I tiring (no pun
intended) of wheels being out of true and the potential of broken spokes
every time I run the car round a racetrack. The fix is just to swap the
hubs and then buy the wheels. Easily said but expensive and you have to
redo all the tolerences in the rear axle. I've seen magnesium alloy wheels
with centre splines (not the one Morgans offer) on MGBs. Does anyone know
who supplies these?

Cheers

Steve Moore

PS Fred Sisson,

I still don't have an address.

>Dear all;
>
>A group of local car-guys, in which I am a sometimes reluctant member, were
>discussing the hassles of conversion of a disk wheel'd MGB to wires by
>swapping from a rusty parts car that's in the area.  It turned out to be
>more complicated than I had expected, with issues of the two alternative
>rear axles, overdrive or non-overdrive trannys, length of prop-shafts,
>coarse and fine threads, and other minutia.  This lead me to wonder what
>the story is with our beloved Morgan.  Can someone open up a discussion of
>this process?  Anyone made the switch?  Just how absurdly complicated would
>it be?
>
>cheers,
>Will Zehring

Please Note new Phone and Fax numbers