Re: disk to wire

To: Gerry.Willburn@trw.com
Subject: Re: disk to wire
From: rkatect@juno.com
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 10:47:08 -0400
Chip & Gerry:

There are two places where disc wheels "normally" crack, one at the lug
nuts and the other is at the hub cap stud.

The cracks at the lug nuts is not caused by over tightening the lug nuts,
but rather by the stress induced to the wheel by the stiff sliding pillar
suspension under racing conditions. The factory also introduces stresses
at this location by stamping the wheel to provide full purchase for the
sloped shape of the wheel lug nuts. Wheel stresses are also magnified by
the fact that these wheels have only four lug nuts, a 5% increased

The crack at the hub cap studs is due to the factory induced stress when
the curved portion of the wheel is flattened for insertion of the hub cap
stud. These cracks then radiate to the ventilation holes in the wheel. I
have experienced both types of cracks under racing conditions and is the
first thing any Morgan driver checks when they pull into the pits.

My solution was to have flat plates 1/8" thickness welded to the back
side of the wheel with appropriate holes for the lug nuts and the center
hub. Never had the cracking problem again.

John

.