Re: Velorex Three Wheelers

To: Chas Wasser <ohmog@fuse.net>
Subject: Re: Velorex Three Wheelers
From: Colin Cobb <cobmeister@zianet.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 13:17:04 -0600
Hey Chas, Hey Gang,

Ah! Velorex...

There was indeed a Velorex Trike--a "proper" Three-Wheeler--made by the
Czechs from 1954 to 1971. Power was by a Jawa motorcycle engine,
probably the 350 cc V-twin, I'd say, though the 250 cc single may well
have been fitted.

Interestingly enough, the "basic" Velorex used a canvas body covering,
making it look rather like an upside down, poorly designed and ill-kept
canoe or, perhaps, a Folboat unfolded in too great a haste. The "DeLuxe"
Velorex made use of metal body panels...

Features included:    Cycle fenders, bullet headlights, boat-tail,
weathertight (!), steel tube frame (canvas panels stretched like a
drumhead). Left hand drive, doors (!), power to the single rear wheel,
probably chain drive.

Can't imagine that the Velorex had any pretensions to performance with
that tiny motorbike engine, but it must have had something going for it
to last nearly two decades in production, particularly being as ugly as
it was.

I have never seen one "in the canvas", only pictures. I don't know of a
Velorex club though there may be one since it was around so long.

Apparently their 4 wheel model (a Velorex 2/4!) was designed and
prototyped but never made it into production.

Cheers!

--Colin Cobb, Las Cruces, NM, USA
'65 Tiger & '66 Plus 4 & '67 Alpine SV