Re: Hot & Cold

To: morgan forum <morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Hot & Cold
From: Art Hart <arthart@bell-labs.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 07:35:46 -0500
Fred,

The RV antifreeze is no good for a 100% system as it is already
diluted.  The most popular kind is good for -50F.  I use it straight out
of the container with a corrosion and lubricant type additive from the
auto parts store when the local discount store doesn't have propylene
glycol type automotive antifreeze at a decent price.  My local NAPA auto
parts store wants about 10 bucks! for a gallon of the environmentally
friendly stuff.

I'm sure the Evans coolant isn't cheap either, but I think I would go
with that for a 100% system unless you have a chemical  supply house
nearby where you can get propylene glycol - in which case you should of
course add an additive package for anticorrosion and water pump
lubrication.  Propylene glycol is suppose to be much less corrosive than
ethylene glycol even against aluminum.  I know the radiators in my
everyday cars that have had propylene glycol since new show no signs of
the fuzzy corrosion on the edges of the tubes that I used to see with
ethylene glycol coolants and they all have either aluminum heads or
radiators.  The collector cars (model T and Morgan) I've only had a few
years so it is too early to tell, but I don't anticipate a problem.

Art Hart