Re: brake (break?) fluid

To: "Robert K. Alexander" <ralex@unm.edu>,
Subject: Re: brake (break?) fluid
From: Bob Nogueira <nogera@prodigy.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 99 21:33:44 -0500
-- [ From: Bob Nogueira * EMC.Ver #3.1a ] --

Greg
     When I rebuilt my Plus4 engine last year  Ken at British Frame and
Engine advised me that he was also  having a difficult time  finding
properly hardened lifters. He said he was using a Ford  (V8  Will !! )
lifter with a sleeve.  Have you had any experience with this fix ?

Bob Nogueira   ( Who now has a vision of his lifters looking like melted
Chocolate )

> Date: Sunday, 07-Feb-99 02:26 PM
>
> From: SOLOW GREG               \ Internet:    (gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com)
> To:   Robert K. Alexander      \ Internet:    (ralex@unm.edu)
> cc:   MORGANS                  \ Internet:    (morgans@autox.team.net)
>
> Subject: Re: brake (break?) fluid
>
> Because we co a lot of restoration work, I thought it would be a good idea
> try silicone fluid.   We started using it for the first time about 15
years
> ago.  What we have found is that glycol based fluid does  NOT cause
Girling or
> Lockeed seals to expand,  silicone based fluid DO CAUSE SEAL EXPANSION.
This
> has been confirmed by a press release that I have from Girling  that they
put
> out about ten years ago.  In most cases, in street driven cars this is not
> problem because in most hydraulic cylinders the seal fits into a groove in
the
> piston,  The groove is very deep, and the piston and the seal slide back
and
> forth in the bore of the cylinder in which they are a close fit.  The 10%
> expansion of the seal, (this is the figure used by Girling), only makes
for a
> tighter seal.   But in some older Girling master cylinders,  the seal fits
into
> a groove in the body of the cylinder and the piston, which is smooth,
slides
> back and forth through the seal.  In our experience, in these cylinders,
the
> expansion of the seal causes the seal to lose contact with the piston and
the
> cylinder stops working.  In fact you completely lose ALL pressure and the
pedal
> goes right to the floor!  The type of cylinder where this has occurred is
used
> in all Morgans up to about 1955.   All the sealing setup in most disc
brake
> calipers is the same as this,  we have decided  to restrict the use of
silicone
> fluids to clutch hydraulics and drum brake systems that use the later
design
> master cylinder and where the cars are driven infrequently and are really
> "garage queens." The other cars we use these fluids on are cars like MG T
> series and Morris Minors where the master cylinder is mounted under the
floor
> boards and are therefore exposed to a lot of moisture as well as having
the
> later design of cylinder.
>     WE DO NOT RECOMMEND THE USE OF SILICONE FLUID FOR ANY DISC BRAKE CAR
THAT
> IS EVER DRIVEN HARD.  As the temp of the fluid rises, the fluid becomes
more
> and more compressible, and it becomes more susceptible to contributing to
> sudden, total, and unpredictable lack of any pedal pressure and consequent
> brake failure.  It is just not worth the risk.
>
> Regards, Greg Solow

Engine