RE: Morgan Gas Tank

To: Phil Roettjer <Phil.Roettjer@quantum.com>,
Subject: RE: Morgan Gas Tank
From: Bob Nogueira <nogera@prodigy.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 99 21:09:49 -0500
-- [ From: Bob Nogueira * EMC.Ver #3.1a ] --

Phil:
I know of what you speak.  The Duchess tank leaked  at the same joint. It
took me forever to discover the leak as it was so small that  fuel never
dripped to the ground  but collected between the tank and  wood boards.
After repairing the tank, to keep from stressing the seams again I used  two
 metal straps  with rubber under them. they start and end at the rear cross
member, going over the tank down to the boards and under the boards back to
the rear cross member.  On top of the tank I have two adjustment screws to
tighten up the straps,
With this  arrangement I don't have to use side flange. I also feel much
more secure knowing  my gas tank is not being held in place by two  soldered
flanges

Bob Nogueira

> Date: Tuesday, 16-Feb-99 04:48 PM
>
> From: Phil Roettjer            \ Internet:    (phil.roettjer@quantum.com)
> To:   MORGANS                  \ Internet:    (morgans@autox.team.net)
>
> Subject: RE: Morgan Gas Tank
>
> I have the gas tank out of my +4 since it was also leaking. What I
discovered
> is there are stress points at the bottom  where the sides of the tank are
> soldered on. There are two bolt holes on the flanges on each side and the
> side-to-side motion of the car plus vibrations puts tremendous stress on
these
> solder joints. So any padding that would allow the stress to be
transferred
> away from these joints should be beneficial. The leaking problem in my car
is
> not due to corrosion, but due to breaking the solder joints at these
stress
> points. So I do plan to have some sort of rubber or padding at the bolting
> points to help relieve the stress. I would also recommend sealing the
inside of
> the tank with a  compound such as the POR15 tank sealer.
>
>         I would welcome any other suggestions.
>
>         Regards,
>         Phil Roettjer
>         1967 +4