Re: Crackle black finish

To: deemi@juno.com
Subject: Re: Crackle black finish
From: JClax5817@aol.com
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 14:26:38 EST
Bob,
Looks like you have plenty of responses already, but I'll add another in case
it helps.

I got my brown wrinkle paint from The Eastwood Company, in (no joke) Malvern,
PA. (800) 345-1178

They have black as well.

My experience was that it wrinkled very well when used as directed.

I learned a few things you might benefit from:

1) My instrument panel had some unwanted extra holes I plugged by tack welding
in some plugs the same shape from the back side. I then filled the joints from
the front with solder and filed it smooth. On my first attempt. the wrinkle
paint wrinkled along the joints of these plugs. It looked awful. I probably
should have bought a new instrument panel, but after a couple more attempts I
learned that I could seal the soldered joint crack by spraying the entire
panel with a few coats of polyurethane spray with sanding after each coat to
get the joints really smooth. I then sanded it lightly, applied a primer,
sanded it lightly again, then applied the wrinkle paint per the instructions,
and it did OK. The point is that the wrinkle paint will pick up
discontinuities in the panel surface.

2) I found that if I sprayed the wrinkle paint on too heavily, the wrinkle
pattern was coarser. I got the best results with 2 coats timed 3 minutes apart
per the instructions, with each coat just think enough to give the "glossy
wet" look all over just after spraying, and no more.

3) I found that using a hair dryer dulled the final finish in a way I did not
like, although placing the painted panel in the floorboard area of a car on a
warm day seems to work great. It takes a while for the wrinkles to fully form,
so patience helps. I would give it overnight before making a real assessment
on the results.

I hope this helps.

Jack Claxton
Cornelia, GA