Re: Various and sundry,

To: <LSelz@aol.com>, <carfindr@tiac.net>, <Morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Various and sundry,
From: "Greg Solow" <gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 21:50:01 -0700
The original recommendation for oil for the gearbox  in a +4 Moss box was 30
sae engine oil.  THIS IS NOT THE BEST LUBRICANT TO USE!!  For many years we
used GM '' special purpose gear oil", i.e. oil made especially for limited
slip differential.  It made the syncros work better  and helped to prevent
wear in the trans.
Recently we have been using Redline MTL gear oil. It seems to work as well
as far as shifting goes and has lowered the running temp  of the gearbox
under racing conditions which means to me that it is reducing the friction
in the box which has got to be good.  There are no detrimental effects from
using GL-4 or GL-5 gear oils in a Moss box.  There are only the benefits of
better lubrication.  The limited slip gear oils and the MTL both improve the
syncro action if the syncros are not worn out and the hub preload springs
inside the gearbox haven't gone soft.
                                                     Regards, Greg Solow