Re: My kingdom for a good refererence book...

To: carfindr@tiac.net
Subject: Re: My kingdom for a good refererence book...
From: Steve Moore <steve.moore@tag.csiro.au>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 08:00:55 +1000
Jeff,

The factory used horsehair padding covered by the leather trim. This
accounted for a lot of the rot that occured around sill boards. When I
first removed the old trim from my car I discovered a miniture ecosystem
existing along the sill boards and rocker. Everything from tiny mites to
fungus. Needless to say the wood needed a deal of attention. I'm not sure
what the factory uses now but there are fibreglass covers available from
Vic Champness of Black Phey Ltd in Takeley, UK. These can be covered with a
thin layer of closed cell foam and then the leather trim. I find closed
cell foam the best choice for a lot of padding applications as it does not
hold water and hence does not lead to rust or rot problems.

As to hinges. $35!!! You must be joking. Is this a factory price? The best
solution is to have the existing pins replaced with stainless steel ones.
Ream out the hinges an use oversized pins to take out any slop caused by
wear. Any machine shop should be able to help you out.

Cheers

Steve Moore

>OK, from what I can gather, it is "normal" for my '58 Plus 4 roadster to
>have the battery cable, lighting wires and fuel line running front to back
>on the INSIDE of the car on top of the sill boards!
>If this is the case, how does the trim cover it to achieve that padded
>effect?
>And while I'm on the subject of trim, does anyone sell good trim kits? - I'm
>not talking about seat covers and the like, but more the stuff that dresses
>up the sides and back of the cockpit.
>Lastly, regarding replacement door hinges. Is there a good way to rebuild
>them (as in do machine shops replace the pins etc.) or does one just bite
>the bullet and pay $35 per hinge for new ones?
>
>Regards.
>
>Jeff

Stephen S. Moore
Principal Research Scientist
Beef CRC Molecular Genetics Sub Program Leader
CSIRO, Tropical Agriculture
Molecular Animal Genetics Centre
Level 3, Gehrmann Laboratories
University of Queensland, St. Lucia, 4072

ph 61 7 3214 2476
fax 61 7 3214 2480