RE: Wood Dashboards

To: "'deemi@juno.com'" <deemi@juno.com>
Subject: RE: Wood Dashboards
From: "Vandergraaf, Chuck" <vandergraaft@aecl.ca>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 11:28:40 -0400
Bob,

You can give it the "taste test."  From the back of the dashboard, file out
small bits of the wood.  If it is walnut, it will taste like a piece of a
walnut shell (I'm not kidding).

Mahogany, I recall, is more open grained than walnut.  Cheaper, too!

I have another, foolproof test: I'm highly allergic to walnut sawdust.  I
found this out when I was sanding down the case of a grandfather clock I was
building.  Within 10 minutes, my eyes started to water and my nose ran like
a tap.  Mahogany doesn't do that to me.

Chuck Vandergraaf
'52 +4
Pinawa, MB