Re: Kingpins/Morgan Shake!

To: Jeff Webster <carfindr@tiac.net>
Subject: Re: Kingpins/Morgan Shake!
From: Colin Cobb <cobmeister@zianet.com>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 17:10:09 -0600
Hey Jeff,

Do NOT attempt to drive through this severe shimmy! It is VERY
dangerous.

>From your description--though you still haven't said anything about the
tires (or tyres, as the case may be)--I would suspect the tires are
largely, if not totally, to blame.

When tires, particularly older bias plys, sit for a long while they can
get flat spots. As your speed increases, the tire starts trying to
bounce straight up everytime the flat spot rolls around. This rebounding
is much exacerbated by overinflated tires. There is no "fix" for this
other than new tires (or tyres, as the case may be). (If you are smart,
you will go with radials, I speak as what may be the last remaining
person running bias plys which I replaced two years ago.)

Because of the sliding pillar front end Morgans are, in my opinion,
particularly susceptible to bouncy front ends caused by bad and
overinflated tires . So I suspect tires are the most likely culprit.

Also inspect those steel wheels to see if they have maybe hit the curb
once too often.

I don't know that I've ever seen a torque value for those hub nuts.

--Colin Cobb