RE: Kingpins/Morgan Shake!

To: <Morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Kingpins/Morgan Shake!
From: "Jeff Webster" <carfindr@tiac.net>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 18:20:24 -0400
Hi Gang,
Thanks, for the input and words of encouragement - I only wish you all lived
down the street so you could come over and have a look!
It seems that I may be jumping the gun a little visa vie the Kingpins, so
let's back up.
First thing I want to do is check the torque wrench settings on the front
hubs - can any one come up with a number for these - there is nothing in the
autobook manual. My car is a 58 + 4 Roadster with drums all around and steel
wheels.
After that I will check the dampers, steering rod ends (which I think are
ok) and the other attached components.
Colin in Las Cruses had said that if the car had been laid up a long time
(which mine had) and that the tires were over inflated (which mine were)
that the flat spots could cause the shakes. This isn't so much a 'shake' or
'shimmy' as a   'wiggle'. It's kind of feels like one of the front wheels is
severely buckled and about to fall off. This only becomes apparent at around
55mph. I don't have the balls to try to drive through it - or with it, as
soon as it starts I ease off the gas and it goes away.
Any way I'll check those hub nuts first if someone has a torque setting for
them, and we'll go from there.
Imagine my frustration - sunny day, wind in hair, then to have it all
snatched away!

Regards,

Jeff