Re: Leaking Carburettor Floats

To: <Morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Leaking Carburettor Floats
From: "Jeff Webster" <carfindr@tiac.net>
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 1999 18:47:36 -0400
Gang,
OK, as is occasionally the case - my question regarding how to salvage
leaking Brass floats in H6 SU Carburetors went unanswered. Not wanting to
shell out $66 for two new floats (and necessity being the mother of
invention) I pressed on to cure the problem myself.
So here is the answer, if you too find yourself with carburetor floats half
full of fuel.

!/ Remove float from the float bowl chamber and find a warm place to leave
it - like in the sun for a few days, (or in an electric oven if you are in a
hurry) or under a heat lamp set at a VERY low temperature. You just want to
warm them enough, so that the fuel inside evaporates. Remember, these brass
floats are soldered together, get things too hot and they'll fall apart!
2/ Once they are completely dry, (you'll know by shaking them) clean the
outside well, with wire wool or emery paper.
3/ Then get some 'Gas tank Sealer' - I had some left over from a gas tank
sealing kit that I bought from Eastwood - but you can buy the sealer
separately, a small can for a motorcycle tank would be more than enough and
should only cost you around $10. This stuff is basically a 'plastic type'
of petrol/chemical resistant. You simply dunk the float in the paint ONCE,
(you only want a thin film of paint) then rotate it to ensure a good even
complete coverage, set it to dry overnight. Next day, pop it back in the
carburetor and your done!

I can vouch for the longevity of the tank sealer. I have had some sealing
the Gas tank of my Jaguar, and it's held up for about six years so far!

Regards,

Jeff